Childbirth Preparation
Last night was so weird - Ryan and I attended our first Childbirth Preparation Class! We were in a class with about 15 other pregnant mommies-to-be and the daddies. It was just so odd to see so many pregnant ladies in one place, all carrying our required two pillows and a blanket. The whole experience last night made all of this much more real (yes, I am STILL getting used to the idea of being pregnant; the reality of it is just so overwhelming).
We spent a great deal of the night doing introductions, then we talked about all the changes in our bodies (like we couldn't tell already what was changing!) and how to overcome some of the discomforts and concerns we all have. It was nice to have other people there that are going through the exact same thing as us - a little reassurance that we are not the only ones having all of these thoughts and feelings was good. The funniest part of the evening for me was when the mommies all had to get on our hands and knees to do "pelvic thrusts" (to relieve back pressure/pain) while the daddies kneeled behind us with their hands on our backs, for support and encouragement. I just felt so silly doing that! I can't imagine what it'll be like when we start doing relaxation and breathing technique practice...
As Ryan pointed out when we got to the car, we could have learned everything in 30 minutes instead of the 2 1/2 hours we spent there, but I guess that is all part of the experience. So, 5 more weeks to go and we'll be all educated about childbirth. Yikes!
Next week we get to watch labor videos and talk about the birth process in all of its gory detail. Don't you wish you could be there? ;>
We spent a great deal of the night doing introductions, then we talked about all the changes in our bodies (like we couldn't tell already what was changing!) and how to overcome some of the discomforts and concerns we all have. It was nice to have other people there that are going through the exact same thing as us - a little reassurance that we are not the only ones having all of these thoughts and feelings was good. The funniest part of the evening for me was when the mommies all had to get on our hands and knees to do "pelvic thrusts" (to relieve back pressure/pain) while the daddies kneeled behind us with their hands on our backs, for support and encouragement. I just felt so silly doing that! I can't imagine what it'll be like when we start doing relaxation and breathing technique practice...
As Ryan pointed out when we got to the car, we could have learned everything in 30 minutes instead of the 2 1/2 hours we spent there, but I guess that is all part of the experience. So, 5 more weeks to go and we'll be all educated about childbirth. Yikes!
Next week we get to watch labor videos and talk about the birth process in all of its gory detail. Don't you wish you could be there? ;>

1 Comments:
Girl, you crack me up! It is so refreshing to see someone dealing with this crazy, magical, scary and very common phenomenon (i.e. pregnancy) without complicating it further. You are the best!
I hope to hear more about these classes...It made me laugh. I loved your picture above and, YES Bere, the duvet cover is really nice. Good job you guys!
By
Anonymous, at 5/05/2006 5:34 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home