Peanut Gallery

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Pavlov's conditioning theory really works!

I didn't try to condition my child using Pavlov's theory - it just happened, really! Let me give you some of the back story...

The first time I went to Costco with both boys by myself was a freaking disaster. I mean total disaster where I was almost in tears because of one child wasn't crying then the other one was, I couldn't navigate through the store without running into something or Jacob trying to climb out of the cart, I put stuff into the cart and Jacob would try to take it out, all the while I have Ethan strapped to me and couldn't really lift all the heavy stuff into the cart without help - which people were not very friendly about giving out. And that was just in the store. Never mind the loading of the car with the groceries, the kids and then the unloading at home. That night I swore to Ryan that I would never, ever go to Costco with both boys by myself. He just nodded and was sympathetic like I needed him to be.

A few weeks passed and reality set in. It was simply not convenient to wait for someone to go with me to Costco. So, I braved the store again - this time with a different tactic. I brought all kind of treats - or "yummies" - to keep Jacob busy while I shopped. It worked! It's kinda like bribery, but a bit of a preventative measure to keep the little sanity I have left.

Often when I go to Costco now I'll stop at the food court and get Jacob a polish sausage if it is around lunch/dinner time or a churro if he's already eaten. I didn't think I did it that much, until yesterday.

We show up at Costco, and as I load the kids into the cart Jacob starts saying "Eat Mami."As I'm making my way toward the entrance we pass the food court and Jacob starts clapping and saying "Yeah Mami! Yummies!!! Mmmmm, yummies!"

Yea... I guess he is just a tad bit conditioned. I couldn't help but laugh at how he knows that Costco equals yummies. It could be worse, right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home