Peanut Gallery

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Rainy Day Blues

Yesterday was a very rainy gloomy day in San Diego. Now, let me say up front I know we are spoiled here in Southern California as far as the weather is concerned. The slightest change in temperature and we are all running around because it is a frosty 65 degrees. However, yesterday was really a very gloomy, cold, rainy day - San Diegan or not.

Ok, on with my story... it was pouring rain all day and I was not about to attempt to leave the house with my two monkeys. While I was cursing the rain for keeping us housebound, the day was actually quite nice. Ethan got to take lots of naps and Jacob played with all of his cars and trucks while I had a chance to catch up with the laundry (as if that is ever possible!).

Once Jacob woke up from his nap, I decided that we would have the perfect rainy day activity - baking cookies! While Ethan slumbered away, Jacob helped me pour all the ingredients into the mixer. We watched the machine whirl away and mix all the stuff - without sticking our fingers or the spatula into the mixing blade. Then we arranged all the cookies onto a cookie sheet (Jacob actually took a spoon and helped me out) and watched the cookies bake in the oven.

Jacob was so excited when the cookies finally came out of the oven and we let them all cool on a rack on the counter. I was wholy impressed by his patience, especially when faced with dozens of chocolate chip cookies.

Now came the fun part. I served up two glasses of milk and two plates of cookies for us to enjoy the fruits of our labors, not caring that it was almost dinner time. Jacob climbed into his chair while I sat in mine. I dug into my cookies, ignoring the milk for the moment. Jacob however, dug into his milk, completely ignoring the cookies! He would take a sip of milk from his big boy glass and then wanted me to take a sip from mine. I tried to persuade him to eat a cookie - look how yummy they are! "No mami. Eche" (leche/milk). Yet, the more I tried, the more he was interested in his milk.

I couldn't believe it. I normally have to trick him into thinking his milk is juice in order for him to drink it. And, Jacob loves cookies and all kinds of sweets. I finally got him to take 2 small bites from his cookie, but that's it. Oh, well. Jacob and I had a great time making to cookies, even if he didn't enjoy eating them. I look forward to many more rainy day cookies with my babies!

And yes, the cookies were delicious! :)

***Before you call the pediatrician to see what's up with Jacob, my boy enjoyed plenty of cookies today. Phew! I was starting to worry that something was wrong! What child would drink milk instead of eat cookies?!

1 Comments:

  • I wish I were there for cookies instead of at school taking a final. I am glad you stayed home...I saw 3 car accidents on my 12 miles to school! I miss you and your monkeys!
    kiss
    V

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/17/2008 12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home