Peanut Gallery

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

To medicate or not...

I've spent the last week completely freaked out over what labor is going to be like. After last night's class though, I'm feeling a little better. We learned about pain medications offered to the mom and what types of interventions are common during labor. The class made me realize that maybe I don't want to have medication as much as I thought I did. Ryan has always been an advocate of no medicine for everything - he will suffer through the worse flu or migrane, refusing to take medicine - but not me. I don't like pain. However, after listening to all the pros and cons of taking an Epidural and listening to the instructor I felt a lot more confident in myself.

Afterall, millions of women have given birth without any type of medication of hundreds of years. If they can do it, why can't I?! But then again, do you know what labor looks like? I can't even begin to imagine what it feels like. But, I've heard many women that have given birth without medicine that it really wasn't as bad as they imagined it. I just wish there was something I could compare it to so that I didn't build it up to be a horrific, unbearable pain.

I would really like to give birth without any medication, but the lingering thought in my mind is the fear. Fear of the unknown makes me want medicine. What will I do if I just can't do it on my own? Will I be a failure as a woman if I can't go through what other women before me have done so bravely?

We'll see what happens...
Bere

1 Comments:

  • Oh my gosh, can't keep my comments away. I do not like pain either and it is unbearable. Yes, it doesn't last forever, but why deal with it if you don't have to that is my motto. And for some, the pain is hours/maybe even a day long!! No thanks. I tried to get an epideral with Trasan it didn't take, so I felt it all!!! Then with Sierra, it worked and I was in heaven!!!!!! The experience was actually FUN! I did get a migraine the next couple of days, but to let you know there is an antidote for it, which no one ever told me. Most people that I know, that wanted to go natural, gave in at the end. And if you wait too long, you can't get it. Just a thought. Sandra

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/11/2006 6:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home