Freak out
A few days ago I had a "new mom freak out"... the story is actually pretty funny so I thought I'd share.
When I nurse Jacob, I usually position him so that he is laying on his side across my belly, supported by my arm with his head in the bend of my arm by my elbow. Got the picture? Ok, here goes the story... the other day I was nursing Jacob and he was moving his head around like normal. When I picked him up after he was finished to burp him, I looked at the right side of his head and noticed that something was strange - his ear was gone! No, it was still here, but his ear was bent forward onto itself (the cartilage part of his ear that is toward the back of his head, not the lobe part.) I broke his ear!!!
At this point I'm still holding him directly in front of me. In the half second that followed my observation, I had the following thoughts racing through my head: 1) OH MY GOD!!! I broke my baby's ear! 2) I deformed my baby at such an early age! 3) What is Ryan going to say? He'll freak! 4) I didn't know it was possible to break your ear! 5) What am I going to do... Then I snapped out of it and decided that I needed to at least flick his ear. When I did, Jacob's ear quickly went back to normal. Phew!
I was then able to take a breath and rationally think about what had happened. When he moved his head, his ear got bent onto itself. Since it was a warm day and the side of his head got a little sweaty against my arm, I guess his ear just stuck there. I had to laugh at myself... I really freaked out because I thought I broke Jacob's ear.
Ryan thinks this story is hilarious. He told me the other day that I'm a great mom, except for breaking Jacob's ear. Thanks a lot, Ryan!
Now, every time Jacob moves around, I constantly check his ear to make sure I don't "break" it again. :)
When I nurse Jacob, I usually position him so that he is laying on his side across my belly, supported by my arm with his head in the bend of my arm by my elbow. Got the picture? Ok, here goes the story... the other day I was nursing Jacob and he was moving his head around like normal. When I picked him up after he was finished to burp him, I looked at the right side of his head and noticed that something was strange - his ear was gone! No, it was still here, but his ear was bent forward onto itself (the cartilage part of his ear that is toward the back of his head, not the lobe part.) I broke his ear!!!
At this point I'm still holding him directly in front of me. In the half second that followed my observation, I had the following thoughts racing through my head: 1) OH MY GOD!!! I broke my baby's ear! 2) I deformed my baby at such an early age! 3) What is Ryan going to say? He'll freak! 4) I didn't know it was possible to break your ear! 5) What am I going to do... Then I snapped out of it and decided that I needed to at least flick his ear. When I did, Jacob's ear quickly went back to normal. Phew!
I was then able to take a breath and rationally think about what had happened. When he moved his head, his ear got bent onto itself. Since it was a warm day and the side of his head got a little sweaty against my arm, I guess his ear just stuck there. I had to laugh at myself... I really freaked out because I thought I broke Jacob's ear.
Ryan thinks this story is hilarious. He told me the other day that I'm a great mom, except for breaking Jacob's ear. Thanks a lot, Ryan!
Now, every time Jacob moves around, I constantly check his ear to make sure I don't "break" it again. :)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home