Peanut Gallery

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

One Month

**Author's note: I borrowed the idea of a "monthly newsletter" from fellow blogger mom Dooce. She writes a letter to her daughter every month, describing any noteworthy accomplishments, stories, etc. I'm giving credit where credit is due - especially since I'm a Language Arts teacher :)


Dear Jacob,

One month ago today you entered the world and became part of our family. You have no idea how much you have changed you father and my life, all for the better. Getting you into this world was a little tough - you wanted to come out and meet us, but my body just wasn't allowing it. After several medical interventions and finally surgery, your dad and I were able to lay our eyes on you on July 15, 2006 at 7:17 pm. Your dad was the first person to hold you. Our hearts immediately filled with an immense love for you that will never go away. You brought tears of sheer happiness and joy to both your dad and my eyes.

We spent four nights in the hospital, one of which you spent in the nursery under the bilirubin lights to help your jaundice go away. You finally came to your new home on July 19th. The first night home from the hospital was a little rough. Both you and I hadn't quite gotten the hang of breastfeeding, so we both spent the night frustrated and crying. Luckily, your dad was there to calm us both down, and we made it through the night. After that, we all knew that we could get through anything if we just stuck together.


You have grown tremendously in the past month. You were born at 7 lbs 6 oz, got down to 7 lbs 1 oz, and now weigh in at 9 lbs 14 oz. You definitely have breastfeeding down!


Your father and I spend hours just gazing at you, in awe of the fact that you are our son. You do little more than eat, sleep, and dirty your diaper at this age, but we are enjoying every moment with you. Last night your dad and I calculated that we have already changed just about 400 diapers in the past month!!!


You sometimes have a hard time falling back to sleep (especially at 4 am) and just want to be held, which we are happy to do, but sleep sometimes overcomes us, so we have to rock you to sleep in shifts. You also love to sleep snuggled up on our chests, and we just love to accommodate you. There is no other feeling like having you nestled so close to us.


Not only are you greatly loved by your parents, but by all of you family and friends. Your grandparents simply cannot get enough of you; your aunts, uncles and cousins are in love with you; and your honorary aunts and uncles are in awe of you. You are truly blessed to be loved by so many people - I hope you never forget that as you get older.
Both your dad and I are looking forward to the adventures that are about to begin with you!

With all my love,
Mami

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home