Not quite a fish yet...
Today was the first day of swim lessons for both Jacob and Ethan. Let's just say that the lessons didn't exactly go as planned - it was a little crazy. The only time the tiny tot class for Jacob coincided with the parent tot class for Ethan was at 6pm, Monday to Thursday, for 2 weeks. While it was not the ideal time, I didn't think it would be the end of the world for 8 days.
To start off with, I dropped Jacob off at the end of the pool where his class was meeting. I walked over to Ethan and my class and climbed into the water. After just a couple of minutes, I look up and notice that Jacob was wandering off from the class and was walking toward the deep end of the pool. I was observing what was happening and the instructors didn't even notice that one of their tiny tots was missing! None of the parents who were watching him walk off said anything either! Unsure of what Jacob was up to and panicking a little bit, I finally yelled up to the lifeguard. He was able to get Jacob and the instructors attention and they ushered Jacob back to his class. Of course, I didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling about this whole situation.
However, Jacob seemed to be doing well once he was in the water. I could see him from our side of the pool and he was doing as he was told, and was actually appearing to have fun. I was so relived. That only lasted about 10 minutes. At this point Jacob gets out of the water and starts crying for me. Loudly. People paid attention to him this time.
I finally made my way to him and he was cold and wanted to leave. I have to admit that the water was a little chilly for that time of day. I could tell Ethan was getting cold too, but we needed to move around in order to stay warm. After convincing him to stay with his class and participate, Jacob started crying again and I was stuck in the pool holding two children while everyone else was taking a class. I felt like I needed to split myself in two. I was just about to give up and go home when the instructor from the parent tot class offered to take Jacob and have him participate in the class with me.
Just when I thought things would get easier, they of course didn't. Jacob wouldn't do anything with the instructor, just stare at him and say "I'm cold!" and "I want my mommy." He was less cooperative than the 1 and 2 year olds!
When we finally ended the class, I quickly got the kids into the showers, hoping to finally warm them up, but the water coming out of the shower was straight from the snow melt! I none the less showered the kids, blue lips and all, got their clothes on and headed to our warm car. Thankfully, from there the rest of the night was without incident.
I hope this was just first day jitters, otherwise I'm not sure what we are going to do. Wish me luck for day two!
To start off with, I dropped Jacob off at the end of the pool where his class was meeting. I walked over to Ethan and my class and climbed into the water. After just a couple of minutes, I look up and notice that Jacob was wandering off from the class and was walking toward the deep end of the pool. I was observing what was happening and the instructors didn't even notice that one of their tiny tots was missing! None of the parents who were watching him walk off said anything either! Unsure of what Jacob was up to and panicking a little bit, I finally yelled up to the lifeguard. He was able to get Jacob and the instructors attention and they ushered Jacob back to his class. Of course, I didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling about this whole situation.
However, Jacob seemed to be doing well once he was in the water. I could see him from our side of the pool and he was doing as he was told, and was actually appearing to have fun. I was so relived. That only lasted about 10 minutes. At this point Jacob gets out of the water and starts crying for me. Loudly. People paid attention to him this time.
I finally made my way to him and he was cold and wanted to leave. I have to admit that the water was a little chilly for that time of day. I could tell Ethan was getting cold too, but we needed to move around in order to stay warm. After convincing him to stay with his class and participate, Jacob started crying again and I was stuck in the pool holding two children while everyone else was taking a class. I felt like I needed to split myself in two. I was just about to give up and go home when the instructor from the parent tot class offered to take Jacob and have him participate in the class with me.
Just when I thought things would get easier, they of course didn't. Jacob wouldn't do anything with the instructor, just stare at him and say "I'm cold!" and "I want my mommy." He was less cooperative than the 1 and 2 year olds!
When we finally ended the class, I quickly got the kids into the showers, hoping to finally warm them up, but the water coming out of the shower was straight from the snow melt! I none the less showered the kids, blue lips and all, got their clothes on and headed to our warm car. Thankfully, from there the rest of the night was without incident.
I hope this was just first day jitters, otherwise I'm not sure what we are going to do. Wish me luck for day two!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home